What is the project all about?
A special section of the Jewish theatre and performing arts website All About Jewish Theatre is dedicated to characters and plots from the Bible which served as inspiration for many creators of theatre, dance, opera, music, film, television, and performance art. This project is produced by the International Institute for Jewish & Israeli Culture in cooperation with the Torah Culture Department at the Ministry of Education and with the support of Minister of Education Prof. Yuli Tamir.
Simultaneously, the Hebrew version appears on the website of the Torah Culture Department.
Initiator and Producer: Moti Sandak
• A central and important layer of the website which will serve as a center of information, research, and study for theatre professionals and scholars, students, pupils, and Jewish organizations and communities worldwide.
• Promotion and distribution of readily available information on Biblical theatre around the world – all under one website
• Laboratory – a catalyst for initiating and producing new projects
• Creating connections between artists and researchers
What does the section include?
• Profiles of Biblical characters who have a place in theatre, dance, music, film, and performance art.
• Academic papers by top international scholars
• Overviews of all the events and shows in Israel and around the world
• Announcements of conventions, seminars, and workshops on the subject
• Links to international organizations and artists who deal with the topic
In the first stage, we will present a pilot based on Samson's character on stage, including information on stagecraft and research sources on Samson's character and links to more articles.
Soon we will add new topics, including constitutive events such as: Genesis, the creation of the world, the Garden of Eden, the Biblical Flood, Jerusalem, prophets and kings, women, The Book of Esther, and Exodus.
I would like to thank Rabbi Yochanan Fried, Director of the Department of Torah Culture and all the devoted members of the department for their cooperation in promoting the project.
A special thanks to Minister of Education Prof. Yuli Tamir whose vision and imagination helped us realize this ambitious initiative which bridges between a wonderful heritage of the Bible and the technologies of the 21st century.
Please send your feedback, suggestions, articles, publications via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We wish you an enjoyable and beneficial reading session.
Moti Sandak – Chief Editor
All About Jewish Theatre
All About Jewish Theatre Production Team for "The Bible on Stage"
Prof Freddie Rokem - Chairman of Editorial Board
Prof Shimon Levy - "The Bible on Stage" Academic advisor
Moti Sandak - Chief Editor
Dafna Ruppin and Tali Okman - Research
Igor Ginsburg - Photoshop
Dafna Ruppin and Noahm Sharon - Translations.
There are currently 2 comments about this article: